Congratulations on beginning your new job or career, and welcome to the San family. We look forward to having you join us and trust that you will find the information in this section helpful as you prepare for your employment with us.
To help you prepare for working life at the San, we run some comprehensive orientation programs at the following times:
General Hospital Orientation for All Staff
|Day:||Tuesday (Alternate fortnights)|
8.30am – 4.30pm
Nursing Staff Orientation
|Days:||Wednesday – Friday (following Hospital Orientation)|
|Location:||San Education and in your clinical areas|
Clinical staff, Radiographers and Wardspersons, must attend a compulsory Manual Handling session, which is run on a Thursday between 12.30 pm and 3.30 pm.
Please report to Reception Desk at Beattie Complex at 12.15pm so that the session starts promptly at 12.30pm
- This competency-based training program ensures knowledge and use of safe work practices in patient handling and is based on Sydney Adventist Hospital’s No Lift Policy. It is a practical session so appropriate clothing must be worn (flat, enclosed shoes; trousers).
General Hospital Orientation
All employees are required to attend the general hospital orientation day on either the first day of their employment, or at the latest within one week of starting employment.
During orientation we cover the following topics / areas that you need to be aware of as an SAH staff member:
- SAH Mission (with either the CEO or a member of the executive)
- Behaviour and customer service expectations
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Infection Prevention & Control and Staff Health
- Human Resources (including Payroll & Anti Harassment)
- SAH Library
- Quality Management
- Fire Safety and Security
There is also time during the orientation program for the fitting / ordering of uniforms, and to arrange an SAH identification card.
Whilst we prefer that all our new staff attend orientation in person, sometimes this is not possible. In this instance there are facilities available to complete the orientation program online at a time convenient to you and your manager.
Individualised departmental-based orientation will be conducted over the first few days of employment to ensure you get a smooth transition into the SAH workforce.
Our nursing staff also undertake a comprehensive Nursing Orientation program, commencing 8.00am – 4.30pm every second Wednesday following the Hospital Orientation program, and concluding on the Friday.
This program includes:
- Introduction to Program Professional Recognition Program
- Medication Calculation Review paper
- Blood Glucose Levels
- Morning tea with the Nursing Executive Officer and / or Director of Clinical Services
- Chest Pain Management
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Theory and Practical
- Legal Issues
- Package S4D & S8
- Medication Package
- Blood Transfusions
- Patient Controlled Analgesia Theory and Practical
- Computer and Trendcare training
Supernumerary time and department orientation are conducted over the first few days of employment to ensure a smooth transition into the SAH workforce.
Please note: All Clinical staff must attend Manual Handling training before commencing work in their respective departments. Manual Handling is run every second Thursday, during orientation week, from 12.30pm – 3.30pm. Participants should arrive by 12.15pm in order to complete your registration before the session starts.
For more information on Orientation please contact San Education:
Phone: 02 9487 9211